Save copies of your course syllabi. They will be required as part of your application. Undergraduate syllabi too!

Studying outside of Canada, or planning to?


1. Has the program at University X been accredited by CASLPO?

CASLPO does not accredit university programs nor do we maintain a list of approved university programs in audiology or speech-language pathology offered outside of Canada.
Eligibility for registration with CASLPO may only be assessed after an application has been submitted with all of the required supporting documents.

2. I am considering a variety of programs offered outside of Canada. How do I know if they meet CASLPO’s requirements for registration?

You must compare the contents of the program you are considering with CASLPO’s requirements.

CASLPO provides a detailed inventory of the course work content areas and hours as well as the practicum areas and hours. Look at the program you are considering and match their course descriptions and hours to our list of requirements. You can find this information HERE .

CASLPO cannot provide a formal or informal evaluation of any specific university program prior to receiving a completed application because programs and our requirements change over time. Because an individual’s preparation at the bachelor’s level may also be relevant, we must receive a complete application before we can determine whether your program of study meets our requirements.

3. Does CASLPO accept problem-based learning coursework hours?

Yes, problem-based learning hours are accepted towards the fulfillment of coursework hours.
Please note that CASLPO accepts 30% of student-directed coursework hours (e.g., laboratory, problem-based learning tutorial hours) and 100% of instructor-directed coursework hours (e.g., lecture, tutorial, seminar hours). In all cases, the type of coursework hours that have been completed must be clearly indicated in your course/module syllabi.

4. Can I be registered in Ontario as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist with a Bachelor’s degree?

No. To be registered in Ontario as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, you must have completed a professional Master’s degree in the field. This degree must contain coursework, clinical practicum and a research component.

5. Can I include hours from bachelor’s level courses towards fulfilling my coursework requirements?

Yes. Undergraduate level university courses may be used towards the coursework requirements. It is understood that the majority of the coursework hours in the major professional area will have been completed at the master’s level.

6. What if my program doesn’t have coursework or clinical practicum hours in the minor professional area (e.g., SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY for audiology applicants or AUDIOLOGY for speech-language pathology applicants)?

Because coursework and practicum hours in the minor professional area are non-exemptible requirements, they must be fulfilled. However, when this is the ONLY deficiency in meeting all of the requirements for registration, a panel of CASLPO’s Registration Committee may grant an initial certificate of registration with conditions regarding the completion of these requirements after registration.
Please note that any time a deficiency in an application is identified, the application must be referred to the registration committee for review. This means that the application process will take additional time. Please follow this link for the application timelines.

7. Do I need to write an exam to be registered as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist with CASLPO?

We are anticipating that by fall 2020 a mandatory registration examination will be required of all applicants across Canada.
At this time, there is no mandatory requirement for audiologists or speech-language pathologists to write a ‘licensing’ exam as part of the qualifications in Ontario.
However, if a deficiency is identified in an application, the Registration Committee may require an applicant to write an exam in order to fulfill the requirement.

If you have any questions about applications to CASLPO from universities outside of Canada, please contact the International Applications Coordinator:

Email: international_grad@caslpo.com
Phone: (416) 975-5347 x223, Toll-Free (ON) 800-993-9459 x223



This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous to "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.