How To Apply to the College

To practice in Ontario as an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist, you must be registered with CASLPO.

3 Pathways to CASLPO Registration

  • Path 1 – For graduates of Canadian Accredited Programs*
  • Path 2 – For graduates of International Programs (i.e. programs offered outside of Canada)
  • Path 3 – For professionals from other regulated Canadian jurisdictions (i.e. Members of CSHHPBC, ACSLPA, SASLPA, CASLPM, OOAQ, NBASLPA, or NLCHP)

*Note:  Graduates of Canadian university programs which have been granted “Candidate Status” in the accreditation process must follow Path 2 for graduates of international programs.   To find out which Canadian universities are accredited or have “Candidate Status”, click here.

Click on the left side menu for further instructions regarding each pathway.

APPLICANTS - Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I work as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist before the College registers me?
view answer +/-

No, you cannot. It is against the law to work as an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist in the province of Ontario without first obtaining a certificate of registration with CASLPO. 

2. I am currently a student, when should I submit my application?
view answer +/-

You can submit your application after you have completed all of the requirements of your professional master's degree program.

3. When will I be contacted once CASLPO receives my application?
view answer +/-

Within 15 business days of CASLPO receiving your application, you will be contacted via email. At that time, the College will let you know:

  1. Whether or not your application is complete, or
  2. If your application is ready for review.

Please note, it is not possible for CASLPO to expedite any applications. We are committed to processing applications as quickly as possible and in the order that they are received. 

Please refrain from calling the College prior to the 15 days, as it slows our processing significantly.

4. Can I fax or send a scanned copy of my application package?
view answer +/-

The following documents MUST be originals:

  1. University Transcripts (sent in a sealed envelope),
  2. Academic Credential Assessment
  3. Form B,
  4. Form C,
  5. Language Proficiency Test Score.

The following documents may be sent to the College as a fax or a scanned copy:

  1. Application Form,
  2. photo copy of citizenship,
  3. Form A,
  4. Form D
  5. Syllabi
  6. Registration Form

5. Can I submit Speech-Language & Audiology Canada's (SAC's) Summary of Clinical Practice Hours form instead of CASLPO's Form B, Summary of Clinical Practicum?
view answer +/-

Yes, CASLPO will accept SAC's Summary of Clinical Practice Hours form or an equivalent official document from your university in lieu of CASLPO's "Form B: Summary of Clinical Practicum" provided that it has all of the information contained in CASLPO's Form B.

6. Do I need to get a course-by-course credential assessment report?
view answer +/-

No. A course by course credential assessment is not required. However, CASLPO requires all International graduates to obtain a "document-by-document" or Basic Assessment from one of the CASLPO approved credentialing agencies. A list of approved credentialing agencies is available in CASLPO's Initial or General Certificate Application Guide - International Graduates.

7. Can I drop my application off in person at CASLPO's office?
view answer +/-

The same timeline for processing your application will still apply regardless if it is dropped off in person to the CASLPO office or if it is submitted by mail or fax.

8. Will CASLPO accept notarized copies of my documents?
view answer +/-

No. The College does not accept notarized copies of the required documents for registration (i.e. transcripts, clinical practicum hours, academic credential assessment, language test scores, etc.).

9. After the College has reviewed my application, can I get the original documents returned to me?
view answer +/-

No. The College will not return original documents to applicants regardless of whether the College approves or denies an application.

Applicants may have access to copies of all documents submitted during the application process by sending a written request via email to CASLPO's Program Assistant. The following service fee is also required with the applicant's written request:

  • $50.00 per request including the first twenty-five pages, and $1.00 per page thereafter.

10. After I submit my application to CASLPO, how long does it remain active?
view answer +/-

Two years is the amount of time your application is active following your receipt of a registration decision from CASLPO.

Incomplete applications will remain active for two years.

After two years, your application will be closed. If you would like to become a member of CASLPO at a later date you must submit a new application to the College. 

11. How long does it take to become registered with CASLPO if I meet CASLPO's registration requirements?
view answer +/-

10 weeks is the approximate estimated timeline to become registered

Timeline Breakdown:

  1. Within 10 business days of receiving your application, the College will contact you to confirm the receipt of your application or inform you of any documentation that has not been received.  Please do not call to ask about the status of your application before this time has passed.
  2. Within 6 weeks of receiving all the required documentation and information, the College will provide a response to your application. 

    Please refrain from calling the College prior to the 6 weeks, as it slows our processing significantly. 

    When all of your documents are received, the College will evaluate your qualifications and determine if you meet the requirements for certification.  At that point, the College will contact you with this determination.
  3. If you meet the College's requirements for a certificate of registration, you will be sent a Registration Form for completion via email.
    After you have:
    - Submitted a completed Registration Form; and
    - Paid the remaining fees for registration.
  4. Your certificate of registration will be issued within 5-10 business days and you will receive notification of your registration via email. 

To see all the CASLPO's application timelines, click here.

12. How long will it take to review my application if I do not meet one or more of CASLPO's registration requirements?
view answer +/-

4 to 6 months is the approximate time it will take for the Registration Committee to complete a review of your application and issue a decision if you do not meet one or more of CASLPO's requirements for registration, Process Breakdown:

  1. It will take approximately 10 business days to notify you of the status of your application.  This will include the list of documents that we have received and any that are outstanding.
  2. Once your application is complete, it will take up to 6 weeks to determine if your application has a deficiency.
  3. Once a deficiency has been identified, it takes approximately 6 weeks before you will receive a notice that tells you we are referring your application to the Registration Committee for consideration. The notice of referral will outline the deficiencies found in your application.
  4. You have 30 days to respond to the notice of referral and make any additional submissions to the Registration Committee regarding your deficiencies.
  5. Your application will be considered by the Registration Committee at the next scheduled meeting. Meeting dates are not pre-set but are scheduled quarterly.
  6. The Registration Committee's decision will be provided to you in writing approximately 5 weeks following the meeting date.

13. What fees must I pay to Complete my registration with CASLPO?
view answer +/-

The fees associated with The College's registration process can be found on CASLPO's fees chart here.

14. I have received my Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA), do I have to complete a mentorship with CASLPO?
view answer +/-

You should apply for a General Certificate of Registration if you have 24 months or more of professional experience.  Completion of a mentorship period is not required of an applicant who has met all of the requirements for a general certificate of registration.

You must apply for an Initial Certificate of Registration if you:

  1. Have less than 24 months of professional experience; and
  2. Are not currently registered in another Canadian regulated jurisdiction,

All initial members must successfully complete a minimum 6-month mentorship when beginning to work in Ontario.

CASLPO's mentorship period provides new members with an orientation to CASLPO's professional standards, self-assessment tool, and peer assessment process which is very different from what must be done during ASHA's Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY).

15. What is the difference between a regulatory body (i.e. CASLPO) and a professional association (i.e. SAC, OSLA, CAA, ASHA, SPA and ISHA)?
view answer +/-

Click here for the "Did You Know… the differences between a regulatory body and an association?"

16. I have been offered employment fulltime at a schoolboard where my professional liability insurance is paid. I also plan to see one or two children privately. Do I need professional liability insurance coverage for the few children I see privately? 
view answer +/-

Yes, you must be covered (either personally or by your employer) by professional liability insurance for a minimum of $2,000,000 per claim for all business locations at which you practice.

17. I have been offered employment at a large health sciences centre. How do I know if I have sufficient professional liability insurance?
view answer +/-

Speak to your organization’s finance, corporate services and/or human resources department. All regulated health colleges require members to have professional liability insurance, so the organization should be able to confirm that they have the required insurance ($2 million per claim) to cover regulated health professionals.


This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous to "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.